Check out the recipe and learn how to prepare a delicious moqueca from Espírito Santo. This dish will enrich your menu. Moqueca from Espírito Santo is very popular and is a typical dish from Vitória and Vila Velha in Espírito Santo. Try it; it’s delicious!
- 2 garlic cloves
- Lemon juice
- 2 kg of fish in slices
- 3 tomatoes cut into pieces
- 4 sprigs of coriander with leaves
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons of annatto oil
Ingredients Annatto Oil
- 100 grams of annatto grains
- 1⁄2 liter of oil
How to prepare annatto oil
- In a pan, add the oil and annatto.
- Bring to a boil and when it starts to boil, press the seeds with a ladle and stir well.
- When the oil is very red, remove from the heat.
- Let cool, pour into a bottle and store.
Moqueca Preparation Method
- Mash the garlic with the salt, add the lemon juice and season the fish pieces.
- In a large pan, place a layer of seasoned fish, another layer of tomato, onion, chives and coriander.
- Alternate layers until the fish is finished.
- Add the olive oil and annatto oil.
- Place the pan on the fire with the lid on and cook without stirring, shaking the pan from time to time, until the fish is cooked.
When preparing annatto oil, do not let it boil too much to avoid burning the oil.
Annatto is also known as paprika, urucuba, uru-uva and alfafroeira.
Currently, annatto is used as a natural dye to give yellow or reddish colors to food.
Fish slices suitable for moqueca: sea bass or dorado.
Serve the moqueca accompanied by rice and pirão.
Yields 4 servings.
See also the pirão recipe for fish moqueca.