Check out precious tips about fish and seafood. Fish, crustaceans, shellfish and molluscs are healthy foods that should be consumed all year round.
During holidays, the end and beginning of the new year, consumption increases and, therefore, we must be prepared to consume these foods safely. Fish and seafood are rich in proteins and minerals, much appreciated due to their special flavor.
Classification of Fish
- Lean: Sole, dorado, hake, cod,
- Semi-fat: Mullet, sardines, trout
- Fat; Tuna, salmon, eel, anchovy, mullet
When buying fish, pay attention to the general appearance of the product. The fish must have clear eyes and smooth, shiny skin with no loose scales.
The gills must be reddish in color and the meat must be firm.
How to clean
Remove the fins and the toughest part of the tail with kitchen scissors or a very sharp knife. Remove the scales, running the knife edge in the opposite direction, from the tail to the head.
Open the fish with a very sharp knife; To do this, you need to make an incision of a few centimeters in the belly, in order to remove the viscera, and then wash the central cavity with running water, rubbing gently to remove all the blood. The viscera can also be removed through the back or gills (especially when you want to stuff it).
For certain recipes, you are asked to remove the skin from the fish. In this case, it is necessary to make an incision in the tail, peel off the skin and tear it off, pulling it towards the head.
There is the option of buying the fish already cleaned at the fishmonger.
Fish and Seafood Conservation
The fish must be stored in the freezer. Leave the fish in the refrigerator only if you are going to prepare it on the day of purchase.
Shelf life in freezer: up to 1 month
The whole fish must be peeled, cleaned and washed (all traces of blood must disappear, as it gives the meat a bitter taste). Before being frozen, it must be wrapped in PVC film. Sliced fish keeps less time than whole fish.
Crustaceans are terrestrial, marine or freshwater organisms, such as lobsters, shrimps, crabs, crabs, water fleas, billworms, etc.
Lobster is a luxury food due to its high price. It is delicate and has an unparalleled flavor.
Crustaceans can be boiled, grilled or fried. They can be consumed hot or cold.
When purchasing, the preference is for closed seafood. Opened shellfish will be spoiled.
Shellfish must be prepared no later than 3 days after collection.
Seafood should not be overcooked; the meat will be elastic and tough.
Seafood such as mussels, scallops, shellfish, among others, can be consumed cooked and sometimes raw, such as oysters. To eat raw oysters, make sure they are fresh.
How to open shellfish: cook them on the stove or place them in a very hot oven. Shellfish that do not open after cooking, discard them; they should not be consumed.
Frogs do not have poison glands. Only the frogs’ thighs are consumed. Frogs have firm, smooth meat, similar to chicken meat, with little fat. Frog meat is a gastronomic delicacy.
Other tips can be found in tips of the hour – fish.
Mariscos “Au Gratin”
- 2 kg of large shellfish
- 50 grams of wheat flour
- 30 grams of butter
- 30 grams of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium sized egg
- 1 handful of green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- Dry white wine
- ¼ liter of hot milk
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Clean shellfish by brushing and washing them well.
- Place them in a large frying pan without adding water.
- Then put it on the fire and, as the shellfish open, remove them from the shells.
- Reserve 20 shells, which will be used later to put the seafood mixture in the oven.
- Strain the liquid that formed in the pan and set it aside as well.
- Chop the garlic and mix with the green chilli.
- Place half of this seasoning in a pan, add a few spoonfuls of oil and heat.
- A few minutes later, add the seafood, pepper, salt and sprinkle with the wine.
- Cook everything over high heat for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Prepare a sauce, stirring constantly, with the butter, flour, milk and ¼ of the liquid in which the seafood was cooked and reserved. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the yolk, cheese and seafood. Stir vigorously.
- Wash the reserved shells again and fill them with the seafood cream.
- Arrange everything on a baking tray and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and the rest of the green chilli.
- Place in a moderate oven to brown for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Butter can be replaced with margarine.
You can increase or decrease the amount of seasoning to your liking.
Grated parmesan cheese can be replaced with provolone cheese.
See also the recipe for fish and seafood stew.