Video 1 of 3
Shopping has almost become a luxury as prices are on the rise. Some supermarkets are more expensive than others.. In collaboration with the specialized institute Nielsen IQ, journalist Olivier Dauvers wanted to know the prices charged in French mass distribution. Recently, the results were published on the Le Web Grande Conso website. Verdict ? Residents of the capital may cringe at the figures.
Not all supermarkets are equal when it comes to inflation. In fact, an investigation revealed a sometimes significant price difference between supermarkets. Depending on your department, a simple packet of cereal may vary in price by several cents.
First of all, not surprisingly, prices are higher in Paris. The capital emerges as the most expensive department followed by Hauts-de-Seine (92) and Val-de-Marne (94). Ile de France is therefore the most expensive region.
The journalist and the institute reveal three most expensive stores:
- Auchan in Avallon (Yonne) for the hypermarket category,
- Casino in Roquebrune (Alpes-Maritimes) for the supermarket category
- Franprix in Marseille comes first among the most expensive local stores.
Unlike Parisians, some consumers are luckier. Among them, people living in Côtes d’Armor, Vendée or Haute-Marne.
Here are the cheapest stores in France:
- The cheapest hypermarket is E. Leclerc in Neuville/St Quentin (Aisne)
- The most competitive supermarket is Colruyt in Horbourg (Haut-Rhin).
- The cheapest local store is the U Express in La Teste-de-Buch (Gironde).