A cod with a very special flavor and lots of tips to make its preparation easier. Enjoy Easter and show everyone what a great cook you are! Enjoy!
- 1.8 to 2 kg of cod
- 4 cups of milk (tea)
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup (tea) olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups of mayonnaise
- 1 kg of medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Black olives (optional)
- Soak the cod (see mom’s tips).
- Drain the cod, place it in a pan, add the milk, place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and leave to soak in milk for 30 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the milk.
- Clean well, removing skin and pimples and place in a refractory mold, preferably made of clay.
- Taste to check the salt.
- Sprinkle with pepper and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, bay leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is transparent.
- Drizzle with 1/3 cup of the cod cooking milk and continue cooking until the onion is very soft, but not browned.
- Remove from the heat, add the parsley and mix.
- Pour the mixture over the cod and cover the entire surface with mayonnaise. Reserve.
- Cook the potatoes in water until they are soft.
- Remove from the heat, drain, peel and pass through the juicer.
- Season the mashed potatoes with salt to taste, add the butter and beat with a wooden spoon to mix well.
- Cover the entire refractory with the puree.
- Place in the oven to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Soaking the cod: Wash the cod under running water, place it in a large bowl or basin, cover with water and cover with plastic film. Thus, the salt, being heavier than water, settles at the bottom of the bowl, not remaining in contact with the fish. Leave it to soak in the fridge for approximately 36 hours. During this period, change the water several times to eliminate all the salt. After this time, drain, rinse under running water and use.
To always have cod ready to be used: Buy the cod well in advance; It will be much cheaper. You can soak the cod according to the instructions above, blanch, clean (removing the skin and bones) and freeze. At the desired time, the cod will be ready to be used.
If you prefer, place the mashed potatoes in a pastry bag with a large star tip and decorate the entire dish with olives.
See also the special cod recipe.
Yields 8 servings.