O President of the NATO Military Committee, Rob Bauer, warned, on Thursday, that Alliance countries, particularly civilians, must prepare for an all-out war with Russia in the next 20 years.
The Dutch admiral warned, according to international press, that a large number of civilians will have to be mobilized if a wider war breaks out in Europe and that the process of recruiting reserve forces must be put into practice by governments as quickly as possible. .
“We have to understand that it is not a given that we are at peace. And that is why we (NATO forces) are preparing for a conflict with Russia”, he said, after a meeting in Brussels.
“But the discussion is much broader. It is also the industrial base and the people who have to understand that they play a role”, he stressed.
According to the president of the NATO Military Committee, Sweden did the right thing by asking the population to prepare for war. “It starts there,” he said. “Becoming aware that not everything is planable and that not everything will go well in the next 20 years”, he warned.
It should be noted that the statements came on the day that NATO announced the start, next week, of large-scale military maneuvers, the largest in Europe “in decades”, which will last several months and involve around 90 thousand troops from the Atlantic Alliance .
In the maneuvers, called ‘Steadfast Defender 2024’ (‘Steadfast Defender 2024’) and which will run until May, not only military personnel from the organization’s 31 member states will participate but also from Sweden, which is in the accession process.
On Wednesday, Bauer had already appealed to “the whole of society” to support Ukraine in the fight for the survival and defense of democracy.
Read Also: Russians celebrate Orthodox Epiphany by diving into icy waters
All News. By the Minute.
Eighth consecutive year Consumer Choice for Online Press.
Download our free App.