Poppy seeds add a beautiful effect when sliced into this lemon cake.
Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds and other seeds have numerous health benefits. Enjoy and use them always!
- 190 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 and ½ cup (tea) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups (tea) of wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 25 ml of milk
- 80 grams of sifted ricotta
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50 grams of sugar
- Grease an 18 cm x 7 cm English cake pan with butter and flour. Reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and mix in the poppy seeds and lemon zest. Reserve.
- Using a mixer, on low speed, beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With the mixer still on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk.
- At medium speed, add the ricotta and beat until the dough is homogeneous.
- Place the dough in the pan and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the dough comes out dry.
Syrup Preparation Method
- Bring the lemon juice, sugar and 100 ml of water to a boil.
- Let it boil until reduced by half.
- Drizzle the baked and still hot cake with the syrup.
- Wait for it to cool down a little.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely before serving.
∗The poppy seed can be replaced with black sesame or chia. Here in Brazil, poppy seeds are a rare and expensive item. The seed has been missing from the market for some time and is labeled “forbidden”.
Black sesame can be used in salads, soups, blended with juices and yogurts, mixed with fruit or rice, or even in the preparation of breads, cakes and cookies.
The ricotta leaves the dough moist and flavorful.
If you prefer, cover the cake with royal icing or cream paste made with icing sugar and lemon juice.
Approximate yield of 10 servings.
Also check out the recipe for pineapple and lemon ice cream cake.