How about a citrus recipe to accompany your breakfast or afternoon snack?
I tried this jelly at a friend’s house and I quickly brought you the recipe. Be sure to always check the recipe tips!
- 1 kg of large, sweet organic oranges
- 2 organic lemons
- 1 kg of crystal sugar
- Wash oranges and lemons well.
- Cut the oranges and lemons in half, squeeze the juice into a jug and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a square of muslin-like fabric, place the pomace and seeds and close it with a string to form a bundle.
- Place the fruit peels in 1.2 liters of water in a pan.
- Tie the bundle to the handle of the pan so that it is submerged in the liquid.
- Partially cover the pan, heat and simmer for 1 hour, until it softens.
- Remove and drain the ingredients in a large colander over a bowl.
- Squeeze lightly to extract all the liquid and remove the pulp from the skins with a spoon.
- Using a sharp knife, cut thick or thin slices of peel, depending on your taste.
- Place the liquid, sliced peels, fruit juice and sugar in a pan.
- Heat over low heat, stirring well.
- Increase the flame and let it boil for five to 20 minutes to reach the point.
- Remove the foam, set aside for 15 minutes until a film forms and the skins stop rising.
- Stir to redistribute the skin and place in properly sterilized jars while still hot.
- Cap, label and store in a cool, dark place.
Sugar hardens the skin, so it is important that the fruit cook long enough to soften before adding it.
If you prefer, you can add less sugar to obtain a more tart jelly.
An organic product is healthy, clean food, grown without pesticides or chemical fertilizers. You can find these products in organic open-air markets, municipal markets in your city or in specialized stores/stores.
Yield of 2 small pots (450 grams).
See also the sweet orange peel recipe.