A rich bread, with an unmistakable shape and a soft, delicate and buttery structure, cannot be missing from your table. A perfect bread with a cup of coffee or tea. Hmm… very good! Check out the recipe tips for another successful suggestion!
- 1 tablet of fresh organic yeast
- ½ glass of warm milk
- 3 cups (tea) of wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 ovo
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- Grease and flour an English cake pan (28cm x 10.5cm) well and set aside.
- Dissolve the yeast in half the warm milk.
- Add 1 cup (tea) of wheat flour and mix, obtaining a soft dough.
- Make a ball, cover with a cloth and let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
- Sift the rest of the flour and make a well in the center.
- Add the sugar, salt and egg there.
- Work the mixture with your fingers, wetting it with the rest of the milk.
- Add the fermented dough to this mixture and knead with lifting and stretching movements until the dough has absorbed enough air to become soft and comes away easily from your hands.
- Add 1 and ½ tablespoons of butter and work the dough a little more; add the rest of the butter.
- Form into a ball and place in a large bowl.
- Cover with a cloth and let it rise for 6 hours, in a warm but ventilated place.
- Work the dough again until all the air is removed.
- Make a thick roll, cut into pieces of equal size, giving each one a ball shape.
- Place one next to the other at the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Leave it in a warm place so that it undergoes a third growth, now tripling its volume.
- Place in a hot oven (220ºC) and bake for around 40 minutes.
- To check if it is cooked, poke the dough with the blade of a knife: it should come out clean.
- When removing from the oven, brush with water or syrup.
- Let it dry before serving.
Serve for breakfast, tea or snacks.
Approximate yield of 6 servings.
See also the Swiss brioche recipe.